From:
Bill Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:02:33 -0400
Hi Phil;

    My understanding of IRQ assignments is rudimentary at best, but why let
that stop me from offering my experience?

    PCI slots share IRQ's between themselves. While some video cards, sound
cards, NICs and modems may deal well with this sharing, others do not. I
have several times attempted to alter IRQ's for a certain card to no avail,
only to find that moving it one slot over solved the problem immediately. I
just built an 1.4 G Athlon out of spare parts from the three computers I
updated in my home. The NIC would not work, until I moved it one slot over.

    I have read some people's accounts on how to best allocate the IRQ's to
various devices, but being inherently lazy I usually just move the card and
to this point that has been successful. Good luck.

Bill