From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:53:42 -0400
Debra,

There is quite a bit more involved than simply hooking up a cable.
Without knowing what type of computers you are talking about
and knowing what operating system is being used, we can't
give you a lot of specific details.

In general you will need to tend to the following items.

Both computers must have a Network Interface Card
(referred to as a NIC ).  Ideally both being the same brand,
model, and speed.

Next you need to install the NIC's drivers.
Then you can select a SERVICE, such as
Microsoft Family Logon and pick a PROTOCOL.
Each PC must have a unique identifier and they
both must be assigned to the same WORKGROUP.

This may sound daunting, but most of it is
simple "fill in the blank" and "pick from a list"
type items....... assuming you are working
with Windows 9x........

If you are, then open the Windows help file
and go to the HOW TO book, it will have
step by step instructions to set up a simple
peer to peer network.

Jim Meagher