From:
Fred Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:31:01 -0500

Rob

    The "No ROM Basic System Halted" results when you fdisk a hard drive

and do not use the entire disk then this results in the

need to use the #2 command in fdisk which is set partition

active. This happens only if the entire drive is not on the

first partition. Hope this helps.

Fred Moore A+ and 3 MCP

Subject: Format problem

> I received a 486 from my aunt not too long ago. It

> was a business computer, so she decided to format the

> hard drive to get rid of confidential company files.

> Unfortunately, she formatted EVERYTHING, so I don't

> even have DOS, Win3x or any OS on there, making the

> computer useless at this point. All I can do is mess

> around with the BIOS. Once you leave it to get ready

> to start up, it gives me the message:

> No ROM Basic

> System Halted

> What my question is, is there a download that I can

> put on a 5 1/4 floppy disk which boots up the computer

> and installs DOS, even with nothing on the system?

> And is there something that would let my 5 1/4" drive

> automatically recognize this "boot disk" and

> automatically have it install DOS?

> Thanks in advance,

> Rob

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,