From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 07:19:59 -0700
For reasons unknown to me, Win 98 keeps installing at startup (ACPI)Advanced
Configuration and Power Interface (BIOS), ACPI button, 2 type 46 disk drives
(I have type 47 like everyone else),  extra hard disk controllers for these
virtual type 46's, and it installs two PCI cards that I removed together
with their software. After 4 restarts/startups (this is California with our
power shortage problems so I don't leave it running all day when we're all
gone) it boots into safe mode.  I look in device manager and see the type
46's, all the ACPI's, a modem I removed, and a Promise Ultra 100 card I
removed (I've removed both of the latter half a dozen times in safe mode
since this problem started, and that's after I physically removed them and
uninstalled the software for them).  The routine is that I have to remove
them all in safe mode and restart.  Typically it will boot into win 98 after
I do that, but sometimes not.  Then I just use Goback software to rewrite my
hard drive to the last time it was working OK. That hasn't failed yet.  I
installed a new Tyan Trinity 400 S1854 mobo on 5/12/01, and did run the
viatech 4 in 1 software installation for it.  There is no uninstall for this
software which I think may be the source of the problem.  The mobo before
the Tyan was an Asus P3V4X which also wanted a viatech 4 in 1 installation
(it did not have this problem).  Any ideas on what causes this virtual
installation show and how it can be fixed?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml