From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 01:55:01 +1000
John wrote:
>It then claimed to have found some 300 issues and directed me to register
>before the issues could be fixed - they then wanted 39.50 to register.
>Is this a scam?>>

Yes, it's a scam. Where did you get it from? Looks like you've downloaded
the notorious "antivir" scam or something like it, probably from a spoof
site that emulates the real Malwarebytes one.  There's a scam Nortons one,
too, that appears like Nortons.

Once this scam is in your system, it will protect itself by not allowing
the real Malwarebytes to run or update.

The giveaway with most of these scams is that they'll appear to scan your
system in a very short time, usually just a few seconds, and then come up
with all these fictitious items. A real Malwarebytes full scan will often
take 1/2 hour or longer.

There's a very useful Malwarebytes forum here with specific removal
instructions for many of these common scams:

http://malwarebytes.besttechie.net/

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml