From:
John Ehrhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 23:37:57 -0800
Ray,

I just recently setup an SMC router for my DSL service. It hooks up between
the DSL modem(or a cable modem) and the network cards. This one includes a
four port 10/100 switch which allows
my network connections along with my internet connection. There are several
name brand routers including Linksys, I went with the SMC router because it
also includes a print server.
As for network cards, I scrounged two from old computers that were being
disposed of at work, so most cards will work if you can find the correct
drivers. Mine were Intel network cards, so the
drivers were included in Windows 98. I don't know that they are the best
drivers but they work fine for me.
It was extremely easy to setup the router, both Linksys and SMC include
fairly complete instructions. You can check both websites, they have the
setup directions available.
I know there are other brands but the names escape me right now. If you
search for information on routers you will find numerous listed.
So as it stands, I have a DSL modem connected to an SMC router which is
connected to each computers NIC via category 5 cables.
The router also acts as a firewall keeping the home network secure and
allowing both computers access to the internet at the same time.
HTH

John Ehrhart

From: Ray Busick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [PCBUILD] HOOKING UP A SECOND COMPUTER ON A CABLE

> Currently have one computer on @home cable modem service. I realize I will
need another ethernet card for another computer but what else. WHAT AM I
TRYING TO DO? I need to hook up my daughter's computer to my cable
connection, DO I need a router and hub? One.both? What is a good brand,
type? Do I need the same brand/type ethernet card as the one presently in my
cable computer now? Advise needed....is it difficult to get both of these
going?

> RAY

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com