From:
Steve Beck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:56:58 -0400
I have an AMK 233 w/mmx.  The motherboard recently got fried by an electrical surge.  The system would not boot and the monitor remained darkened.  The video card and cpu posted on a new motherboard but the HD would not boot to W98.  It would just hang.  I fdisked and formatted the HD to install w98.  After formatting, the system would not recognize a command.com.  I have been unable to get the system to boot from the w98 boot disk or emergency boot disk.  After many attempts using different boot disk, the system would start and would load the help/diagnostic tools onto drive 'D'.  The cd rom would be located on drive 'E'.  I don't know where drive 'D' came from since I LBA the entire 3.2GIG Hard drive to drive 'C'.  I have tried replacing the HD with a new HD but had the same difficult time in fdisk/format of this new drive.  When I was succussful in formatting, the system again loaded diagnostics onto drive 'D'(which is nonexistent)and cdrom as drive 'E'.  I cannot acces drive 'D' or 'E' using either HD.  Is the CPU or RAM fried also?  What do you guys think about this one.  I am baffled.

Steve Beck

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html