Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 18:14:21 +1000
Kylie Nielsen wrote:

> Hi,
> I had a similar problem a while back. My CD drive was the blame. I got a new
> one and haven't had any trouble since.
> Kylie Nielsen

Thanks to everyone that try to help solve my problems. I finally found
the culprit. It was me -- I am never satisfied with how my computer
works. It can be brilliantly working, but I need to keep myself on my
toes and play with my settings.

Now it finally caught up with me. Because I thought I was having some
disk space problems with my two other hard disks which was running on
FAT 16, I decided that they should be on FAT32 which my C drive is on. I
copied all the directories of the two hdds to the C drive and rebooted
and went to Fdisk where I removed the partitions and reformatted the two
drives.

Anyway, the drive letters changed to D and E, so the F drive became the
CDROM. Everytime I turned on the computer in the morning or rebooted, it
took me several minutes to gain access to anything. It has one error
after another, some peripherals not working, etc. and so on and so
forth, ad infinitum. I checked everything I can think of to check but
all my settings seemed to be correct.

I missed one -- the CDROM drive letter! I had assumed it was correct and
though the letter K was staring right back at me, I did not see that. I
was only seeing what I wanted to see --  that "the device is working
properly and has no conflict" message in the device mangler. I had
installed, uninstalled programs like insane -- until this morning. I
decided to stay away from my computer and do something else, including
spend money on another hard drive and a new voice modem.   :-)  I came
back this afternoon and divine inspiration told me that I should check
the CDROM drive letter. I did. It was wrong!  I changed my drive letter
to start at F and end in H then rebooted my computer and wallah! It
works!!!!!

Lesson learned: Stupidity is not hereditary. We can choose our own level
at which we can be.

Iz Kuzara