From:
Bruce Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 01:16:14 -0500
Hello all,

I am trying to put together a system based on a Pentium IV processor
and uncertain about what is the best type of memory for this
processor.  The mother board, (ASUS TEK)can operate with a 1.5Ghz
processor and has the i850 chipset. This motherboard has a front side
bus rated at 400 Mhz speed.  One type of memory from Samsung is a
RAMBUS 184 pin RDRAM 256MB PC800 with ECC.  Another type is  SDRAM
184 pin 512MB pc133, ECC,cas3.  Another type of memory is DDR SDRAM.
I want to get memory which can process the highest number of bits per
second.

Even though the first memory, RAMBUS with 800 Mhz speed, I believe it
only uses a 16 bit data path.  At 800 Mhz it still sounds pretty good
but the front side bus is rated at 400 Mhz, which tells me, that
would automatically limit the amount of bits per second to 1/2 of
what the 800 Mhz memory could do.  Can anyone help me in figuring out
what would be the best memory to use.  So far I'm still almost $300
within my buget, so I'm not too worried about the cost of the memory,
although I will consider the cost of the memory per the number of
bits per seconds.

Currently, not confident as to what to buy.

George

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml