From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:59:53 -0600
From: "Ed Bogert" :Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Windows shutdown problem

> Removed all my anti-virus programs and only suceeded in eliminating the
> floppy drive search.  Windows still won't shut down on it's own. Thanks  Ed
> Bogert

Ed,

Some other things that you can check for shut down problems are:

1.Another item that can cause shutdown to hang is corrupted shutdown
bitmaps, or a corrupted exit sound file.

2. http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q193/4/73.asp: Windows 98 hangs when if it contains an IDE hard disk using DMA

3. You didn't mention which antivirus program but you may want to check out this registry key and Symantec's site.  Norton Antivirus has been known to cause problems with Win98 when the Auto Protect feature is enabled, disable Auto-Protect and update Liveupdate. If this doesn't fix the problem you can delete the following key from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\Shutdown\Exclusion List
Symantec has a support article on this:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/19987311083

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,