Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:16:37 -0500
Hi Les,

Congrats on your successful install of SP2. In reference to the XP firewall,
the Windows Firewall is an updated software firewall in SP2 that replaces
the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) feature. It is enabled by default,
the ICF was not.

For a firewall to be effective, it must protect you from undesirable
incoming and outgoing Internet traffic. The Windows firewall does not do
that, it only provides some protection one way, from incoming. With only the
Windows firewall, programs on your computer, to include spyware, etc., are
free to access the Internet at will. Most good third party firewalls will
alert you when this occurs and give you an option to allow it access or not.

An ideal solution is to have both a hardware (router) and a software
firewall. While this isn't possible, or feasible, for everyone, the next
best solution is to have a software firewall that protects you both ways.
There are several available and some offer free versions. I prefer
ZoneAlarm. I started with the free version and have been using the Pro
version for years.

Microsoft has stated, in so many words, and it is my opinion that the ICF
and the Windows firewall are provided to offer some protection for the
innocent. That is, for the unknowing and those who simply don't care. With
all the bad guys out there constantly trying to access our computers and
looking for new ways to do it, we need all the protection we can get.

Sven Swanson, Sr.