From:
Lewis C Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 15:17:11 -0400
The computer (900 MHz AMD Athlon CPU running Windows Me) has been slowing
down noticeably in recent days and requires frequent  rebooting to get up
and running on even the simplest tasks.  I've done the standard things
like scanning for viruses with Norton's or Trend Micro's Housecall,
removing spyware with SpyBot, defragging, etc.  I've used both Norton and
Housecall and have noticed that a complete disk scan takes literally
hours and sometimes it never ends, thus requiring a reboot.  I seem to
notice that when it is scanning most slowly that it seems to be looking
at the temporary files.  Additionally, every time I run Housecall many
new files appear in the C:\Windows\Temp directory.  Housecall always
seems to hang when it reaches these files.  These files are all about 135
Mb in size and always start with the letter 'V' followed by two numbers
and another letter, two more numbers, another letter and then five
numbers - e.g. V53G29b58347.  There are hundreds on the machine.

1. Is it safe to delete these files?

2. Is it safe to delete all the .tmp files wherever I find them?  There
are hundreds in the three directories Windows\Temp, Windows\System, and
Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared.

Thanks,

Lewis Emerson

Get your name as your email address.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: