From:
Patrick C Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:51:19 -0400
Hi,

9 times out of 10 its the phone lines, well not the phone lines more like
the terminal
switches on the telco's network.  Around here (GTE land away from any big
cities) the
most I can hope for (i'm not sure about 56K X2 or Flex) is a 28.8 K
connect, when
I had AOL most of the time I connected at 28.8, sometimes, but rarely, I
connected
at 31.2K.

Another thing to check is, did you use the phone cord  that came with the
modem, most generic modem manufacter's put a 2 wire phone cord
with their modem's. Name brand like USR put a 4 wire phone cord, check
that
plus the phone line coming to the house and the phone line coming to
where you have your computer.

 If  the house wiring is four (generally is but you never know) and the
wire from the telephone company is 4 your in good shape there. If the one
that came with
the modem is 2 wire then change to 4 wire, same if the house is 2, or the
telco wire going to the house is 2.

To change the phone cord that came with the modem (if its 2 wire) then
goto
Radio Shack or K-Mart or Wal-Mart, and look for 4 conductor wire phone
cord,
also known as RJ 12 (I think).

As for the house or apt. your probably stuck if its 2 wire. esp if it is
an apartment.

--Patrick Black

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 10:55:53 -0700 Michi Imamura
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Hi,
>
>I have an Actiontec 56K X2 Modem.  I have tried numerous ISP's and I
>can
>only connect at 28.8.  Does anyone know how I can boost this up?  I
>have
>downloaded all of the firmware upgrades for this modem.  I think it is
>the
>phone lines but I have no idea how to solve this problem.  The phone
>company
>told me to check the connection box.  I live in an appartment complex.
>found the connection box but what do I do from there?  Does anyone
>have any
>knowledge of phone line trouble?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]