From:
Uncle Richard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:29:41 +1300
Brett: Any of the current Linux releases should run okay on your macine.

I'd recommend either Red Hat 7.3 or 8.0 alternatively Mandrake 8.2.

Make the initial installation simple. Don't load up with all the bells and whistles, there are a
awful number of linuc prgs that come with the installation discs.

I'd partition one of your drives and put the LInux on it. With the exception of WINXP the latter
releases of Linux live with WINdoze though you might find it easier to use the LILO bootloader boot
GRUB.

The one trouble with LINUX is that the help manuals are a bit fragmentated and the manusla -
especially for Mandrake are not much better. If you can afford to, buy one of the DUMMIES Books,
they also include dics with the OS on them

I too am experimenting with LINUX with a view eventually - when Uncle Bill gets too greedy and
nosey - making it my main OS. Once you get the feel of LINUX you can do almost everything you can
with WINDOZe and in some instances a bit more.

Enjoy and good luck,

Richard Innes
Auckland New Zealand