From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:59:16 MDT
>Hi Dori,
>
>Can you explain how *increasing* your carbs is supposed to help your diet?

Sigh.  I sincerely hope this isn't a veiled "what the hell do you think
you're doing?!" message.  If it isn't, pardon my last statement.

I would guesstimate my carb intake before the most recent changes to be
MAYBE 20 grams a day when you take out the fiber, if that much.  In other
words, VERY low.

Rachel and other health experts believe that, for some people, this strict a
carb restriction can eventually slow the metabolism.  Thus, an increase.  A
typical day?  Two eggs with some tomato slices for breakfast, a large green
salad with 4 oz. of chicken breast and a dash of olive-oil-and-lemon-juice
dressing and an apple for lunch and 6 ounces of baked fish and a fair amount
of lower-carb steamed vegetables with a dash of oil for supper.

I'm sorry, but I'm on the verge of regretting having said one damn thing
about my dietary changes now.  To some, this is still too low in carbs; "do
40-30-30."  Someone else would ream me for eating tomatoes and peppers from
my own garden.  Another person would point out the chicken may have had
hormones injected and the fish probably came from a farm.  Others would rip
me a new corn chute if I admitted I lied about my steamed vegetables and
actually put (Jesus, Allah, Buddah!) some butter on them.

If I've upped my carbs and I'm STILL in mild ketosis, there's no WAY they're
too high.  Many people would say they're too low, that ketosis has no
distinct advantage and is actually bad for you.

Maybe this is PMS or life stress in general, but I don't think I'm the only
one who gets a little frustrated from time to time with the attacks people
seem to get on this list lately.  Again, if this was just a general
question, I'm sorry.  And I've stated my own opinion more than once.  But
good God, sometimes I feel I can do nothing right by some people's
standards.  Can't we all just get along?

Dori Zook
Denver, CO