From:
pook la roux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 05:16:46 -0700
> Check into what Cancer patients have to do.

That's a great idea.

> Subject: Re: ideas please

> Sounds a lot like my father in law. <snip>
> He eats mainly sugary things, <snip> I suppose he is
> mal-nourished.

That sounds like our Dad.

 I am thinking a
> meat based paleo diet might help, concentrated, high
> density nutrient
> foods,

Yes, that was my conception too. Our main concentrated
meat food is jerky which Dad can't chew.

Have you tried smoothies?
> A lot of nutrician
> can be packed into one, and just drunk down. Veggies
> can be taken this
> way,

I think he would drink a smoothie. My husband could
probably get him to drink one.  I wouldn't even mind
flavoring it with cocoa if I could at least get some
high quality fats and proteins in it.

Does anyone have a paleo recipe for egg nog?

> Soup? I boil
> mixed leftover meats until they are very soft. The
> broth is rich in
> fat.

That's a great idea too - i just bought a stockpot and
am going to try making up a stock from a recipe in
Sally Fallon's cookbook.

> All that milk, chocolate, and cheese, sounds like he
> is trying to meet
> his felt needs for fat, but probably not getting a
> good mix.

Yes. that's what I was thinking too.

> He is probably one of those manly men, who doesn't
> want to be seen
> eating sissy foods like yogurt?

I think that's true. He shuns my avocados and sushi.
He's not into yogurt. When we drink milk we get raw
milk, raw cream -- Dad doesn't like that at all and
wants supermarket milk.  Supermarket milk IMHo doesn't
taste like anything at all! No wonder he has to put
sugar and chocolate in it to get it down!

Adding a spoonful of
> live yogurt, even
> the sweetened kind, to his chocolate milk would
> probably help his
> digestion if he is going
> to continue with so much milk in the diet.

That's a good idea, too. He just pours the chocolate
syrup in the milk bottle and swishes it around, so
he'd never actually notice if I put a spoonful or two
of yogurt in there.

 If he wants
> to live on his own and kill himself with his insane
> food choices that is his
> right.

Thanks! I needed to hear that. We were at the store
the other day and Dad asked me to buy him a pack of
smokes. I refused -- and felt absolutely no
compunctions about it. Then I realized -- what exactly
is the difference between sugary chocolate syrup and
ciggies? They are both destructive.  (Oh btw I should
have mentioned, Dad is mildly diabetic. As long as he
avoids alcohol and a lot of excess sugar in food  it
seems to stay relatively under control without
medication. So when I let him have the suagry syrup, I
feel as if I'm handing him a loaded gun.)

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com