From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:00:12 -0400
On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, John McKenzie wrote:

> A while ago (around a yuear and a half I think) on the lowcarb-l list,
> it was
> discovered that a signicant number of the most frequent posters had the
> same
> blood type. After the subject was allowed to run its course and lurkers
> etc submitted
> data, the percentage of listers of each blood type did not vary much
> with what would be normal numbers on a global basis. (I bring this up
> because it was a discussion of D'Adamos' work which sparked the thread
> over there (another list where I mostly lurk)

Part of the problem is that D'Adamo's program is based on several
hypotheses.  There is the alleged connection between ABO types
and lectins, but there are also his theories about stomach acid
and alkaline phosphate levels and diet.  Type As do indeed
secrete less stomach acid and less intestinal alkaline
phosphatase than type Os do.  D'Adamo thinks this makes them less
capable of digesting animal protein and fats, but it's far from
clear that this is so.  At least, I have searched in vain for
information that would clarify this link.

> It could be argued that unless one has problems with a certain food, one
> wont be pressed to look for answers, so a great many people who
> "shouldn't" be able to eat a certain food, infact can and do, and so
> those who are "saved" by the information and rave about it do not havwe
> a counter argument from other people to whom the advice is unnecessary.

That's correct, and the usual response is that the supposed ill
effects are subtle and long-term.

> Interestingly, the same could be applied to Neanderthin

Or any other plan.  Those who get striking results of whatever
sort will tend to trumpet that fact.  Those who don't may assume
for a while that they are doing it wrong, and will probably
eventually abandon it (quietly) and try something else.  Some
people on this list, for example, have without fanfare stopped
Neanderthin and taken up the Enig/Fallon _Nourishing Traditions_
way of eating, for the simple reason that they found it worked as
well as or better than Neanderthin for them.  For many (perhaps
not all) "forbidden" foods there will seemingly be some people
who feel better when they eat them.

Todd Moody