Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:42:17 +0900
Hi, I would like to know if anyone else out there is
training for competetive sport. I am training for the fall
road racing season, hope to run several races in Oct and
Nov, ten kilometer.

I have been trying different diets before running hard
training, for example low carb, mediuum carb, and higher and
lower fat levels.

For example, today at breakfast I had bacon and eggs, a few
mini tomatoes and grapes, and some lettuce. Also vitamin and
fish oil supplements. The run went great this morning, I ran
90 minutes, with about 30 minutes of high speed training in
that. This was in the full sun. When I got home I didn't
feel hungry or thirsty (I drink between stages of the run to
maintain sweat).

I feel pretty draggy during the first 20 minutes or so of
the run, but then feel strong for the rest, I think that is
the last bit of glucose burning off, not enough to really
fuel the run, then the fat burning metabolism kicking in
after the glucose is gone.

I try to get a lot of variety in my diet, mixed nuts,
fruits, berries (good frozen ones in the super these days,
and more from the garden) veggies of many sorts, several
kinds of meat and some fish, every day. I also nibble on
what edible weeds I can recognise in the garden. So I think
the diet is pretty good from a basic standpoint.

But I wonder if anyone on the list is trying Paleo diet and
hard training, and what experience they are having. I asked
this same question last spring and got some interesting info
and ideas. Hope to get some more. I am trying to increase my
calorie intake, and use a LOT of olive oil in cooking. I
also eat fatty foods like avocados and nuts, take fish oil
capsules, and eat pretty fatty meat. Is anyone training in
ketosis? Do you find that carbs help or hinder your training
or competition? So far low carb seems to allow me to train
hard. Maybe I should deliberately carbo load and see what happens.

I do not really know if I am in ketosis or not, not having
any of those pee strips. Obviously, after a meat and eggs
breakfast, followed by 90 minutes run, not much glucose can
remain, so I figure I am in ketosis at this point, but I
wonder about the rest of the time. Is there any way to tell
without the strips?