From:
Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:33:54 -0500
Just a fast delurk...

I think the 'rule' that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time
is
largely applicable to highly trained atheletes and especially body builders.
That
group for the most part are already eating sufficient protein and are beyond
the
relatively easy gains that a beginner would see from training.  Body
builders
especially who are interested in large gains of muscle mass expect a lot of
fat
gain and simply go into a cutting phase before a contest.  And yes, I am
talking
about 'natural' body builders.  With chemistry, all sorts of odd things are
possible,
but they usually follow the same regimen, but using chemical assistance in
the gain
and cutting phase.

For the nonprofessional trainer who starts eating a low carb / higher
protein diet
I think it is probably typical that they would gain muscle and lose fat at
the
same time.  Many gain muscle without exercise simply eating adequate protein
from
their new diet.  A training regimen which emphasizes muscle gains would
certainly
enhance this effect of muscle gain and fat loss, especially if they have a
substantial amount of body fat.  Some training, like intense aerobic
activity,
is actually quite catabolic and may even result in the loss of muscle.

  Wade