Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:27:10 -0400
The tempest terriers:
>>>re: gorilla.  Due to their vegetarian diet copious amounts of fecal
material are deposited...the gorilla's vegetarian food produces tremendous
amounts of intestinal gas....

Gosh, we sure had a lot of that (gas!!!) when we ate vegan, whole foods
diets. (We sure could have used chlorophll tablets or liquid then--and we
ate a lot of greens!!!)

>>Schaller describes the gorilla as a timid animal.... gorillas are an
endangered species not because of native hunters or leopards, but because of
their feeble sexual instinct.

There are apparently vegetarians who have strong sex drives; however, I
venture to guess that there are just as many who lose it.  I know of a fair
number of men who noticed a drammatic drop in their libido on vegetarian or
vegan diets and then a drammatic rise (pardon the play on words!:-))) when
they resumed eating meats.  Many became timid in other aspects on veg diets.
This is an observation.  You don't have to agree.  Sounds like it's not a
problem for you.

Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
I definitely question that! State, what's missing in vegetabeles, which
would be necessary for (certain desired) sex-hormones.

I won't argue with you; I don't have the time. However, I'll tell you ONE of
the things missing:  Zinc!  Rudolph Ballantine, M.D., talks about the
prevalence of zinc deficiency among vegetarians and vegans in his two
pro-vegetarian books.  Don repeatedly suffered from zinc deficiency when he
ate vegan diets and merely taking a supplement never fully rectified it.  He
had a lot of symptoms which we both observed among others (male and female)
following similar diets.

Btw:  from what I've read, zinc is necessary for the production of sex
hormones. The best sources of zinc come from animal foods (not eggs or
dairy). The concentration of zinc in vegetables is exceedingly low.  Pumpkin
seeds are said to contain zinc, but the amount you'd have to ingest to get
even part of your daily requirement is astronomical  and unreasonable.
Further, the zinc found in whole grains, legumes, and seeds is poorly
absorbed due to the fiber and phytates (which bind minerals).

Lack of sufficient zinc has been shown to stunt sexual maturation in young
boys.  In adults, it could can result in reduced sex drive, weaker and fewer
erections, premature ejaculation etc. In women it can lead to
menstral/reproductive problems, disinterest in sex, etc.  (In both sexes
zinc deficiency can lead to skin problems, poor digestion and assimilation,
irritability, brittle/peeling finger nails, irritability, depression, eating
disorders, lack of appetite, poor sense of taste or smell, reduced immunity,
and more.)

Guess you lucked out.  Some do, some don't.  Some will, some won't.

Rachel