From:
Sandra Brigola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:55:48 -0700
Canine Health Naturally      Von Hapsburg Danes
P.O.Box 69                         Naturally Reared Fawn
Lions Bay,B.C.,                   www.homestead.com/VonHapsburg
Canada VEO

If Liberty means anything at all, it means the Right to tell people what
they Don't want to hear.
                                       (George Orwell)
Hi Judy;

We just got a 7 week old beagle from a champion rabbit hunting line.  The
breeder who seems to really care about his animals, and whose dogs look
good,
says that I shouldn't make my own dog food.  Adding organ meat is fine onto
already prepared dry food, but he says the "science can't be improved" in
the
better brands (Eukanuba, for example).  Anyone he's seen try to make their
own blends, winds up with "deficient, sickly animals"......

This is 'hogwash'!!   The pet food boys have been trying to 'scientifically
improve' bagged kibble crap for over 50 years, and they will never get it
right.
I've been feeding my crew of Danes 'BARF" Biologically Appropriate Raw
Foods' for over 7 years now and raised 2 litters of puppies with great
results.

There are some good books to buy on Barf..Dr. Ian Billinghurst DVM is the
vet that promoted this concept with 'Give Your Dog a Bone' and Grow Your
Pups with Bones' his web site is www.ianbillinghurst.com  and Kymathy
Schultz has a book out..a little easier reading called 'Natural Nutrition
for Dogs and Cats'  all available at www.dogwise.com .

There are over 80 list devoted to Barf feeding for dogs and cats, but a good
site to get you started is:  http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

And PLEASE do not give combo vaccines if you have to  vaccinate him at
all...that will set off a slew of health problems and undo all the good that
a Barf diet will do for him.

Sandra