From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:34:17 -0500
I question this because i think the automatism to recomand
an higher intake
of any nutrients that the body is lacking is short sighted.
I think we might
even agravate the problem.

Glad to hear this.  This is the way I feel, also.  From my
research (and very limited understanding) of nutrition and
biochemistry, taking more or eating more of th missing
nutrients is far too simplistic.  There is a complex synergy
that occurs between many different nutrients that scientists
are far from understanding.  My salt salt cravings ebb and
flow with various times of the month, and I disregard my
practitioner's general advice to be free with the salt when
I'm not craving it as much (Celtic Sea Salt).

Do you have to take cortisone and florinef for your
hypoadrenalism?
By taking florinef the need for salt diminish.
jean-claude

My doctor wanted to put me on low-dose hydrocortisone, but I
have chosen to try a organic adrenal glandulars first.  He
is treating me for Wilson's Syndrome (hypothyroid) which may
have resulted from the adrenal problem (which, in turn, I'm
sure resulted from 13 years of vegan diet), or the thyroid
triggered the adrenal problem  - no way of knowing.  But
there is a definite endocrine imbalance going on with me.
By first following the type O neg. diet, then going paleo, I
have noticed quite a difference.  Although I was very close
to Addison's a couple of years ago, I'm now lurking back
here chuckling at the "diet and sex" posts that have been
popping up on this list.  (Pardon the pun)

I don't know anything about florinef.  I'm trying to avoid
prescription drugs (is florinef chemical or natural?) at all
costs.  I'd like to give the diet a fair amount of time to
rebuild the 13 years of damage my former diet did, so I
imagine it will take quite along time to "fix" it.  I may
try the hydrocortisone if I don't get better results soon.
Some of the damage is permanent, though.  I lost 15 inches
of colon, cecum and terminal ileum after my appendix
exploded into oblivion 8 years ago. (Misdiagnosed
appendicitis)  Another emergency surgery 6 1/2 years ago
removed an adhesion that had been strangulating my small
bowel since the previous operation.  I'm sure the adreniline
rushes, especially with the first incident, are what
depleted my adrenal reserves and threw me out of whack.  I
was only 31, and I haven't been"right" ever since.  Paleo
has helped immensley, though.  I'm back out hiking and
biking, but I'm sad to say I don't think I'll ever care to
heave a 40 lb. pack on my 106 lb. frame and disappear into
the wilderness.  (can't seem to put those 20 lbs. back on,
even though I eat 1 1/2 lbs. of flesh/day)

I'm interested in how you've faired with the cortisone and
florinef over all this time.  Has the paleo diet made a
difference for you, and how long have you paleodieted?

Lois