From:
thetasig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:47:29 -0700
Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry wrote:

> do you mean that biotin is present only in fertile eggs .?
> jean-claude

No - the biotin and avidin are in the whites whether fertile or
infertile eggs.  And biotin is also in fertile yolks (not in infertile
yolks).  What I mean is that the biotin is not available for use from
the egg whites when the egg is raw due to the avidin (which blocks the
biotin).  The avidin in the whites is destroyed when cooked so the
biotin becomes available then (according to some sources).  Therefore,
if I surmise correctly, when eating *raw* eggs the only way to get the
usable biotin is from the fertile yolk.

Regards,

-=mark=-