From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:53:12 -0700
Todd wrote:

> It is true that there can be low levels of aflatoxin
> on peanuts.
> If, however, you are going to avoid foods for this
> reason, then
> you must also avoid cherries and cranberries, which
> are also
> subject to aflatoxin contamination (There are
> others, too, but
> these are the ones that stick in my mind at the
> moment).

From USDA Bad Bug Book
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap41.html

"Aflatoxicosis is poisoning that results from
ingestion of aflatoxins in contaminated food or feed.
The aflatoxins are a group of structurally related
toxic compounds produced by certain strains of the
fungi Aspergillus flavus and A. parasiticus. Under
favorable conditions of temperature and humidity,
these fungi grow on certain foods and feeds, resulting
in the production of aflatoxins."

<snip>

"In the United States, aflatoxins have been identified
in corn and corn products, peanuts and peanut
products, cottonseed, milk, and tree nuts such as
Brazil nuts, pecans, pistachio nuts, and walnuts.
Other grains and nuts are susceptible but less prone
to contamination."

Philip wrote:

> When I am just hungry I eat mostly lean meat:
> chicken breast, pork; when I am hungry and
> feel I need energy -- I know I am craving FAT!

I think Philip has an excellent point. I, too,
occasionally have cravings that seem to only be
satisfied by higher fat intake. Sometimes the craving
is staisfied with nuts, other times fat from meat only
seems to suffice.

http://mail.yahoo.com/