Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 21:41:57 -0700
Hello,

My husband, dd (3 years old) and I have been on the NeanderThin diet for
just about a week.  We did it basically for disease prevention and
because it makes sense to us.  I am hypoglycemic and was having energy
crashes in the afternoon.  I'd have to veg on the sofa for a couple of
hours I was so tired.  Our diet was basically fruits, veggies, pasta,
and dairy.  We'd have chicken maybe once a week.  And peanut butter
frequently.  I was also having gall bladder trouble.

The switch to the NeanderThin was quite dramatic for us!  I was
concerned how our dd would react, she's doing fine!  Hasn't asked for
milk or cheese!
After just a week on this diet I noticed that I have more energy already
(so does my dd).  No late afternoon slumps!

The first four days I was starving!  I seemed to be eating a ton of
meat, but now I am doing better. My dh and dd are doing great on this
diet.  My dh does miss the "full" feeling of eating rice and pasta (he
ate rice every day for years).

I have found a good local source for organic ground emu that is
affordable (we've been eating a lot of this), and have found a ranch
within driving distance (3 hours away) that sells grass fed organic beef
for a decent price (we just have to save up to buy a 1/4 side).  Other
organic meats are just not within our budget.  We are currently buying
some beef from the supermarket, but it makes me nervous to eat too much
of it (mad cow, ecoli, growth hormones, etc. etc.).  We buy foster farms
chicken, I don't quite trust it.  And we get pork from the supermarket
(we've also been eating a lot of this).  We were shocked at our grocery
bill, but it is well worth it.

We have some pet ducks and chicken that supply us with fresh eggs (my dd
and dh love eggs, but I have to choke them down, so I don't eat them
very often!)

I have a few questions:

1. What are some good sources of calcium for our little one?  I know
leafy greens are good - what about the juice of leafy greens?  (she
loves V8 juice-so e'd like to get a juicer and make it for her fresh
without who-knows what in it).  Do any of you use a juicer (I know, not
paleo)?

2.  Also, where on earth can I get coconut butter at a decent price?
The local health food store sells it for $9.00 for 8 ounces!
Deffinately not within our budget!

3.  I have been making fruit and ground nut "shakes" to have for
breakfast with our bacon and eggs (I don't eat the eggs, so I need
somehting else).  I use a little coconut milk, pure juice, etc.  I add
mango, berries, apples, ocassionally a banana - whatever I have on
hand.  Is this too much fruit?  I don't know which fruits are high in
carbs.  I haven't really been counting fruit carbs because I feel my dd
needs them.

4.  Also, which root veggies (if any) are considered paleo?  Before we
started NeanderThin, we put in a garden and have beets, parsnips and
radishes growing.  We also planted a bunch of snap peas and sugar peas -
not paleo?  I'm obviously not going to tear them up, and we will eat
them - I was just wondering.

Sorry for all the questions! :-)

Thanks,

Lori