From:
jlpresto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:05:02 +0900
I wonder what kind of play for exercise paleolithic man really did?  I would
think that he did the absolute minimum exercise required for huting and
gathering, and rested the rest of the time.  I mean, did he have games?

BUT I am not so sure that we can have it so easy, relying on only rest,
given our lessened bone density since neo times.  We need strong muscles to
support us from injury in particular, expecially given most of our crappy
neodiet pasts.

AND I think aerobics is the opposite of that.  First, all the repetition on
any joint cant be good.  Better make sure you are doing some high intensity
strength training to protect you from injury there.

Second, any increase in aerobic VO2 max is in fact a result of muscular
strenght improvement.  Has nothing to do with "aerobic activity," tho
practice at a sport may make you faster due to learning and technical
improvement.

Third, Id rather sit on my ass at the computer and burn 150 calories an hour
than sweat my butt off on some stairclimber for 300 calories.  So would have
paleolithic man.

It is possible that the back is just something we inherited as primates, but
we came down from the trees...and all the work we do stooped over...but I am
thinking after reading Cordain's article that maybe just maybe those grains
proteins are undigested in the gut and the nearest joints are the lower
back, also making a direct impact on pain.

Judith