From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:54:01 +0100
Actually, the "garden of eden" myth is usually mostly only held by raw vegans/fruitarians. Many RVAFers recognise that some aspects of palaeo lifestyle were nasty, brutish and short. William, I guess is an exception.

Re enzymes:- That isn't what RVAFers generally state. The usual interpretation is that enzymes in raw foods are needed AS WELL AS the enzymes produced by the body. So while RVAFers do claim that cooked-food-eaters will progressively overburden/weaken their enzyme-producing organs and digestive system over the years by eating enzyme-deficient cooked-foods(resulting in the body being forced to make extra efforts re enzymes production etc. to help digestion), there is no suggestion that cooked-food-eaters will die overnight.

 (Of course, digestion can be improved even further by aging the raw foods before consumption).

Re palaeos eating-habits:- Well, it may be true that they were opportunists. But since cooking isn't necessary for eating Palaeo-type foods, the notion of opportunism isn't relevant. After all, Palaeo peoples would hardly have had frequent opportunity to find meats etc. that had already been cooked/burnt before they arrived. They would have had to cook them first - and why would they bother to cook if all palaeo foods could just as well have been  eaten raw, if they truly were mere opportunists? After all, cooking involves a tremendous waste of time re preparation of foods, requiring a degree of planning rather than opportunism.

Geoff

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/137984870/direct/01/