From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:29:47 -0400
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:35:11 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> LC...
>> Maybe nitrogen detox symptoms for (slightly(?) kidney diseased.
>
>This requires a liberal amount of protein, yes, but by no means a
>toxic amount.

The 500 or so kcal from protein are way below the toxic amount,
but for kidney diseased it could be a problem.
Some kidney diseases are treated by a ultra-low protein diet, with protein
combinations as ideal as possible to keep protein-burning low.

>Indeed.  Pesticide accumulation is probably greater in plants,
>since they don't have livers.  I don't want to minimize this,
>since these poisons corrupt the entire food chain.  Hormone
>accumulation is, in my opinion, an overblown theory.

What synthetic animal hormones (like DES) cause, i don't dare to imagine.
Pesticides or other agro-poisons are found directly on non-organic plants
(but not all are treated). However many break down slowly ("atrazin") and
subsequently accumulate in persons and , of course in animals.
Farmed animals (particularly livers and fat tissue) are likely to
accumulate agricultiral toxins.

>Yes, although I know plenty of more whole-food oriented
>vegetarian types, some of whom have serious weight and other
>chronic health problems (Of course I also know some who appear to
>be in excellent health; I don't want to overstate the matter).

I know very few (actually no) vegetarian overweights - but here on the
list I've heared about. I tend to attribute this to health dangers
which are more likely to hit them
- food toxin dangers by unfermented or sprouted grains (esp.phytin)
- problems by trans fats (more likely in unconcious veg.fat consumers)
- w-3 and w-6 imbalances (also due to  widespread w-6-only fats)

I consider it a personal duty now to inform them (as my fellows).
I'm working on a text and look for a medium (probably internet amadeuss.de).

>> It should have been a very common disease, for a populaten with > 90%
>> of food of grain or legume. But i looks like it was rare.
>
>Well, the vast majority of cases now recognized as diabetes would
>have gone undiagnosed in the ancient world, since their methods
>only picked up the most severe cases, in the near-death stage.

Diabetes has some implications which should show up, like "need to eat"
(hypoglycemie) sugar cravings, loss of feet etc. after injuries,
not healing wounds.
I can't imagine hector or odysseus to stop for a cake at "skylla's".

>> So 3 weeks of added brewers yeast should be able to cure insulin
resistance.

>Go for it.  If you are right it will be an important discovery.

Any volunteers? Do you know where the high carb list is?
Maybe i can find a glucose intolerant, willing to try it.

>I'm pretty sure it was restored prostaglandin function and
>balance. The subsiding of chronic inflammation seems to me to be
>an excellent sign of this.  And I'm sure the vitamin C helped,
>but I had used C alone before without success.

Interesting, that C alone didn't work.
Emphasising the prostaglandin chapter.

>But fasting insulin levels do vary considerably, and are in fact
>an important independent cardiovascular risk factor.  It's
>insulin levels that would most directly affect desaturase enzyme
>activities.

Does fasting insulin exist anyway? At least 3 hours after a meal
glucose should go down and insulin with it. This is glucagon time.
Insulin works totally opposite of glucagon how could they coexist?
Strange to me. I haven't read about fasting insulin yet.
Erasmus mentiones vitamin c as a strong arteries protecting factor.

>> .... competing fatty acids.
>
>Yes, but I wonder if this analysis controls for insulin levels.
>Probably not.

Insulin decreases d6d activity.
Would you postulate insulin to disable d6d delectively differently for
18:0 (SFA) amd  18:3 (EFA) fatty acids?

...beef fat..
>But the point is that these are the fats used in modern LC
>approaches.

Yes, this questions "modern" LC approaches and "modern"
paleo-inuit-reconstructing diets.

.. health dangers by nutrition..
> I would add artery damage caused by
>hypertension.

And hypertension is modulated by  ... working of prostaglandins.
Or excess salt?
Series-2 prostaglandins increase salt retention.
Salt increases water retention.

Have a nice weekend all
Now, after almost whole July raining the first sunny weekend is approaching
:-)

I'd have loved to give some rain away to US forest fires.

Amadeus S.