From:
Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:59:35 -0600
Well said, Wally. I sometimes refer to 'iatrogenic training' - things done
as training that induce injuries.

Having witnessed a lot of functional training, I'm inclined to agree with
Charles Poloquin's recent blog. JC Santana, a leading figure in functional,
has said that many functional trainers seem to be training clients for
circus acts.

I've learned a lot from Santana's hybrid training, although the primary
learning came from Scott Abel's MET (metabolic enhancement training) which
brings a functional training method of sets of complexes (1 to 4 movements
done as a set) for EPOC benefit. For example, one day one you might do a set
of incline db presses followed immediately by 25+ reps speed bodyweight
squats on a BOSU then a set of sit ups over a Swiss ball. He also has things
like one arm incline presses done on a swiss ball. One set complex? Dumbbell
overhead snatches for 6-10 reps. Scott has over 700 movements, many like
sand bag lifting, picking up your training partner to carry them 30 feet,
walking barbell curls. Hardest training I've ever done - and real life
tasks. Scott generally stresses movements over exercises. His "from the
dungeon" series of dvds are shot in a tiny home gym, one bench, sets of
bodylastic and JC Predator tubing (very high resistance), adjustable
dumbbells and not much else - with such training, his student Kevin Weiss
has won physique titles - like the old timers from Muscle Beach and York,
embodiments of athleticism.

Sandbag lifting is another powerful option, as are kettlebells.

I'm old enough to have learned old school muscle beach type lifting from old
timers, yet rarely pass it on because people are too stuffed with theories
instead of biofeedback.

Layoffs over another benefit - from resistance training. A lot of those IIa
cells revert back to IIb but in great numbers, meaning when you resume
training you have more to convert to IIa with hypertrophy.