From:
mark wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:29:49 -0800
> Debby > Do you have any kids?  Do/would you teach
> your kids to eat flour
> and sugar believing they are poison?

Have to agree here, I can't.  I spent an hour and a
half Sunday night making paleo cookies for my 6 year
old.  I do stuff like this every week so she'll stay
off the flour, sugar and other junk.  At home it's
easy, she just eats what my wife and I eat, but when
she goes to school it's a different story. It's tough,
and takes tons of work, making the food, dealing with
teachers, peer pressure, etc.  My daughter has come
home from school several times upset because the
macaroni and cheese, Dorito chip, and Pepsi crowd told
her that her food was gross, or smelled bad.

To really make this work I think you have to make
compromises.  I send my daughter a sandwich made with
bread that is gluten and dairy free (rice & almond
flour).  Not perfect, but a decent compromise. I load
it up with turkey and avocado and she loves it, and
gets to eat a sandwich like a lot of the other kids.
Along with the sandwich I send nuts, fruit, a paleo
treat, and a bottle of water.  Since I've made the
adjustments, and stopped sending meat by itself, which
is what causes the teasing, (I'm positive most of
these kids live on pizza, pasta, chips, etc.) we've
had no problems.

The upside to all this is that my daughter has
beautiful bone structure, perfectly formed dental
arches and teeth, is tall, well muscled, lean, isn't
constantly sick, and doesn't have dark circles under
her eyes.  Most of the kids in her class are already
showing signs of improper nutrition.  Pale, thin
faces, crowded teeth, stunted growth, glasses, (at the
age of 6), constant infections.  One girl, who I'm
positive has American Indian blood, has had a cough
for almost 9 months, and has been on antibiotics
almost that entire period.  I told her mom to take her
off dairy and wheat, but she just looked at me like I
was some sort of a nut.

With the information I know now, I could never feed my
daughter typical western foods.  It may be hard, but
as a parent,  I strongly feel that it's the right
thing to do.

Mark

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com