From:
Ralph Carabetta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 11:55:34 EDT
This point is well taken although you might get some disagreement that mans'
efficiency as a hunter wiped out most of the megafauna. Rather, as Daniel
Quinn suggests in his marvelous book "Ishmael," after the birth of
agriculture about 10,000 years ago we were left with two contradictory
premises; one society based on "taking" and one based on "leaving." I think
the best that we can do is to keep informing ourselves as much as possible
and live in such a way as to shed our self-serving arrogance and awaken to
the fact that we are only a small part in the natural order of things.
Ultimately, instinctively, what is our responsibility as a creature of this
planet? Where do we fit in the scheme of things? What's our next level of
evolved adaptation?
Ralph