From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 10:44:18 -0400
Bronwen, I was the one who suggested potassium and perhaps even sodium
because you describe symptoms that are very classic IMHO from the Atkins
lists I used to inhabit, and from my experience and that of my friends.

Low carb diets are very diuretic, especially in the early days before your
body has a chance to adjust. Aren't you a nursing mother? If you are, you
are secreting a lot more electrolytes -- sodium and potassium -- and
calcium -- than other people.

From a lack of electrolytes, you won't necessarily get hungry but you will
feel very tired, numb, have weakness in your limbs, etc.

As I said, I used to consume a bit of KCl and NaCl ("Lite Salt" and "salt")
in water, and this effect would go away within a short time.

I argue that NaCl is paleo. But things like tuna fish are easy to consume
and have a lot of potassium, there is nothing special about bananas this
way.

Shortage of calcium manifests itself as cramping, quite often. I would
suspect sodium and potassium at this point

--Richard