From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:38:24 -0700
>Anyone else had a similar experience? If so, tell me how to get sugar out of
>my life. I feel so much better without it. My MS is non-existent unless I
>eat sugar or fatty rubbish. Potato crisps make my fingers go numb!!
>
>Take care, Al

Wow, Al; I think you're doing great. From my nonprofessional research, I
would say the sugar cravings are normal human reaction. We are hardwired to
crave carbs in emergency situations, or when the light is persistent, as in
the days of late summer when fat storage is critical to survival in the
coming winter - which is, of course, the time of year when carbs are more
readily available in nature. Since modern times bring light 24 hours if we
want it, we tend to sleep less and crave carbs full-time. The pancreas
jumps right on these and turns them to storage fat.
There is a body of research linking the lack of proper amounts of sleep
with this sort of dietary aberration, which is just a survival mechanism
gone wrong because of our artificial environment. You might try getting
more sleep. My thinking is that this sort of increase in sleep is ALSO a
Paleo lifestyle thing, and may really help us in our quest for natural
vigor.
It's kind of interesting; we tend to look at fat folks as too weak in
character to diet or exercise. But individuals just can't help it: under
the circumstances we cannot help but become ill, just by following
perfectly natural drives to eat carbs. It's certainly related to any other
addiction, as they all work on the same centers for satisfaction.

I'm curious as to how far I myself will be able to take this theory. Just
eating Paleo may not be enough of an answer for some of us, as our hormone
output and immune system function appear to depend on sleep. Melatonin and
prolactin production cycle according to our exposure to light, and govern
our immune functions, sex drives, and of course fat storage.
I think you're in a perfect position to appreciate this line of thinking.
Here you have what most anyone would call a disease, and yet it seems
controllable, like any other less forboding condition, by simply going back
to our original paradigm. How exciting for you to find a "cure", and how
motivating for others to see that diet really is such a major part of our
health.
I am devastated by the number of sick folks wandering around, in love with
Western medicine and desperately ill. The more of us that change, the more
some others will, too. I don't imagine we'll save the world, but maybe a
few of our own favorite people. It's potentially a very exciting time for
medicine...

You might want to read, "Lights Out; Sleep, Sugar, and Survival" by T.S.
Wiley. It reads very sensationally, but apparently the research was done
scientifically, with all the references. Cheers,

ginny and Tomo

All stunts performed without a net!