From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:21:49 -0700
On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:05:07 CDT, Justin Hasselman
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>DORE WROTE:
>My plan so far is to do both weight lifting and aerobics.  Someone
>here told me privately that swimming isn't the best option since the water
>cools you and keeps you from sweating as much as you would, say, on the
>stairmaster.  Is this true?  Even if it is, I'll still do some swimming
>because it's one of the few aerobic exerises I enjoy.  FYI, I use flippers
>and hand paddles to create resistance.  This actually did MORE for my upper
>arms than the weight room, believe it or not.
>JUSTIN SAYS:
>That was me.  Swimming doesn't allow your body to heat up.  Thermogenesis is
>the only muscle sparing fat burning mechanism.  You can get adrenaline and
>thyroid levels going with a swimming workout, but thermogenesis just doesn't
>happen, unless the water is warm like in a lake or something.  It probably
>did more for your upper arms b/c it reduced your bodyfat, but not b/c it
>built more muscle.

:-) :-)

So, if you were thrown into the 35 degrees F. waters of the Arctic Ocean, you
would not generate any heat???

I think a little bit of isolated knowledge can be counterproductive.

I'm trying to think of better looking people than the US Olympic Swim Team (male
and female), but I can't think of any...

--
Cheers,

Ken