From:
"Mary E. Copeland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 15:31:48 -0400
>I'm curious if anyone knows any studies or
>anecdotal evidence that some/many? preemie babies
>go on to become fat children and fat adults.

My oldest daughter (now 26) was born 3 months premature, weighing 2 lbs 4
oz.  She was in the hospital for 2 months, during which they would not let
me breastfeed her (or even give her my milk for bottle feeding).  They said
my milk was not rich enough, so I guess they fed her high-fat formula.  But
I pumped my milk and breastfed her when I got her home.  She has not been
fat so far, but then neither was I until the past 10 years.  Both her
grandmothers are fat (and diabetic), so it may just be inevitable.  With a
premie I think you try to overcompensate.  Fortunately, I had a lot of
support for breastfeeding her, not offering solids too early and not trying
to plump her up.

Mary Copeland