From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:25:44 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:18:18 -0400, Karla Plank <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In answer to Ken's question, I've been Zoning for three years now.  At first,
>the Zone kicked all possible manner of butt, but after about 18 months, started
>going haywire, as did my weight, my skin, my health, and my hormone balance.
>Upon finding the O diet, I realized that my daily use of non-fat cheese and soy
>was a real problem, as was the lack of red meat.
>
>It was nice coming onto the O diet from the Zone, because I was able to change
>foods in a rather scientific way by leaving my block amounts, meal sizes and
>frequencies, and my exercise level alone, and change only my food choices.  My
>health improved markedly and I lost about 16 pounds within the first 5 months.
>However, I have plateaud at 30% fat, and can't seem to get lower (I like 25%).
>
>I also found that glutens were a problem, and found ways to listen to symptoms
>to rout out trouble foods.  But, my hormone balance did not return, and my skin
>did not heal, and still hasn't in my 9th month on a strict O regime.  I'm 38.

First, a couple of miscellaneous things to try: 1) raise your daily protein
intake (which people often say helps fatigue, especially if you are physically
active), 2) raise your daily fat intake.

Second, I didn't see any mention of fish or any other omega-3 source.   Sears
has noted problems with the Zone after a period of time that he traced down to
slowly increasing AA/DGLA ratio.   Fish oil capsules help this, or alternately
eating more cold-water fish such as salmon, tuna, etc.  Skin problems would seem
to indicate this.

Third, since this sudden onset of health problems, have you had a liver panel
(blood test) done?  Fatigue can come from liver problems, ie not everything is
due to food! :-)

Fourth, maybe your problem is..... the comfy chair! :-)

--
Cheers,

Ken                         <*>