From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 03:32:49 -0600
Advice requested if you've had experience with candida cleanses...

I'm trying to get off sugar, I am still very addicted to the sugar in fruit, esp. tropical fruit.

Somebody (in the elimination diet thread) was mentioning candida
symptoms and doing a cleanse to get rid of yeast in the body.  I have
yeast overgrowth and I know I've had it for years.  I have never been
able to give up sweet things, though, until I started a paleo diet,
because once I was able to eat fat for energy instead of grains,
things just kind of fell into place.

Any way, I amazingly have never gone for an extended period of time
without some kind of sweet food, and I am now ready to do a "yeast
cleanse" meaning to forego fruit for a while.  I have had nothing
except meat and vegetables for three days now, and I have to admit I
felt so awful!  Is it yeast die off like I have heard?

I am wondering what to expect.  the books I have read about Candida
are the Body Ecology Diet and the Yeast Connection and both recommend
eating some grains (not gluten ones).  If I am not eating carbs
in grains OR fruit, is it possible to eat enough vegetables to keep me
out of ketosis?  Or is being ketogenic what I want?  And how long should
I forego the fruit, is there a sign when I will know it has been long
enough?  (looking forward to berry season here)  Are we talking weeks, months or years?  (The B.E.D. hinted that it might be a year without fruit to restore "body ecology")

thanks for input,
Jana