From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 07:45:54 -0600
Wally Day wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I sincerely cannot see the logic in
> generalizations like 'seeds are not paleo'. What is
> the reasoning? Why would a paleo *not* eat a sunflower
> seed? Or a pumpkin seed? Or any other seed for that
> matter (that can be easily eaten raw or minimally
> processed). In fact, it could be argued that some
> seeds are more easily consumed than some nuts.
>
> I have the same problem with legumes (let's not lump
> them all into the 'bean' category, ok?). How can we
> assume that paleos would avoid *all* legumes?

I agree totally.  I've started eating watermelon seeds
with the watermelon (they really are delicious).  But if you
think about collecting seeds by hand, it makes sense that
these items were small components of the diet.  And certainly
paleo people did not have seed oils, or soy oil, and canola
wasn't invented yet.  It's hard to believe that paleo people
would bypass a ready source of nourishment even in small
amounts, for what reason?  Not philosophy, I'm sure.

    Lynnet