From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:32:57 +0900
> lifestyle. I'm working on reducing my bodyfat at this time, and have many
> food intoleranced/allergies, severly limiting my diet. I'm lactose
> intolerant (can't handle any dairy, butter, whey proteins, etc), allergic
> to eggs, also have trouble with most fruits (particularly oranges which
> bloat me, I learned citrus is a commen allergen), and even have problems
> with spinach, kale, broccoli, and asparagus (fresh and frozen) NONE of
> them sit well with me. I've tried atkins and similar approaches, and even
> with 0 carbs, I can't handle fatty foods (bacon, marbled steaks, 80%
> ground beef)

Hello Pete, I have been thinking about your situation and I wonder if
you have used antibiotic drugs very often? My own digestive
difficulties started that way, I lived 2 years in Central America in a
place with very poor sanitation. I was prescribed many different drugs
over the first year until I finally adapted to the local bacteria.

Anyway, antibiotics wipe out all of the natural flora of your gut,
making digestion much more difficult, bacteria do a lot of our
digestion of plant matter for us. If the natural bacteria are gone
then other bacteria will colonize the gut, some of them are harmless,
but others can be very harmful. If you eat a lot of sugar/carbos you
end up with yeast infections.

That is what I had. I followed the Atkins anti yeast program for a
while and it really helped. If I go overboard on sugar now I cut way
back the next day to almost all meat and have few troubles. To get rid
of yeast cut out carbos and especially sugar. Eat low carbo foods and
take garlic capsules. I also eat yogurt pretty often to get
lactobacilli. If you can't eat milk at all there are lacto bacillus
pills you can try, to build up the gut bacteria.

Anybody else have troubles start with antibiotics? My kids doctor
gives them out  for practically any minor complaint. I worry about the
kids developing resistance and then not being able to use them when
something really big comes along.