From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:11:13 -0600
>They will eat the apples, any food to keep from
>starving, even though their digestive systems are not built to optimally
>absorb the nutrients from those apples they will help stave off starvation.

There was a documentary a few years ago - I believe on PBS - that followed a wolf around while it was wintering. Almost nothing was skipped over - berries, tiny mice, insects, juniper berries, fish scraps left by a bear; the wolf ate whatever it could find to stay alive. Wolves are, for lack of a better term, semi-omnivores. They can *survive* on non-meat foods, but do not truly thrive. Felines, on the other hand, are fully carnivorous and cannot survive on some of the foods canines eat.