From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 18:01:52 -0600
From: "Kristina Carlton"
> That's another point my doctor was making. He said if
> I were sedentary it would be a different matter but
> because I work out 6 days a week he said I could
> easily eat about 20 - 25 grams of protein per meal 5
> to 6 times a day.

Sounds a little familiar.
Rosedale also says to eat about 20 gms of protein (from all sources) per
meal.  --Unless one is a substantially large person and may require more.  I
believe he says the "average" person needs about 60-75 g perday.  Again,
from all sources.  And IIRC he says 20 gms is about all the body can utilize
at a time and protein above and beyond what's needed to repair/replace
tissue promotes gluconeogenesis.  His point is that sugar is sugar, no
matter what the source.  And sugar promotes fat storage.  He says/implies (I
can't remember which) that people on high protein/low carb diets stall in
their weight loss after a while and can't seem to lose any more wieght.  He
says the body becomes very adept at converting protein to glucose and that
is the culprit when more protein is consumed than what the body needs to
repair/replace.  Remember, this is a "diet" book and so is aimed toward an
audience who ostensibly needs to lose weight.  It's worked great for me.  I
do a paleo version of his level A plan, which is the way he claims to eat
 >90% of the time.  Rosedale says his diet is a high fat, moderate protein,
low non-fiber carb diet.

But I'm curious--do you really eat 5-6 meals a day?  Why?  What is the value
in this?  From what I've read elsewhere, research on leptin (I've not read
the studies) seems to indicate that meals should be spaced 4-5 hours apart
with no snacking, with a minimum of 3 hours after dinner and before bedtime,
and 11-12 hours between dinner and breakfast.  Admittedly, there is still
not much known about leptin and how it works, but there's bound to be some
evolutionary need/requirement for it.

Just my thoughts.

Theola