Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:00:25 -0500
> Adrienne Smith wrote:
>
> Also, if man can purportedly thrive on meat and fat alone, then why does
> one need a starchy "carb-up" to refuel glycogen stores necessary for high
> intensity anaerobic exercise? ... Is it possible that
> although man can exist on an Inuit type protein/fat regime, such a regime
> does not support heavy duty high intensity exercise?

What hunter gather engaged in regular "heavy duty high intensity exercise?"
There would be the occasional burst of exertion while chasing down an
animal, or throwing a spear. But the rest of the time it would be walking,
carrying meat, etc... You don't need 2.5 hours of glycogen for any of those.

I doubt very much that any paleo person engaged in the kind of excersize
being discussed. As such any diet needed to sustain a "standard" high
intensity workout would not be paleo.

Walking, carrying moderate weight long distances, the occasional heavy lift,
and the occasional sprint are all activities a paleo person would do.
Anything else is modern. You have to remember a paleo person did something
only if it was necessary to survive. I just cannot imagine a paleo person
standing by the fire, lifting rocks, trying to get buff. It would be a waste
or precious energy that would be best conserved for the hunt.

-Tad