From:
Midas Gold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:42:59 -0400
Vine Fairy wrote:

> Thanks for this info, I don't usually seem to suffer from eating
> occasional spelt either

In my case, Passover came about 8 months after my having ceased
consuming any grain products.  I have Crohn's disease, but thanks to
the diet (SCD - not 100% Paleo, but similar), I was no longer "sick"
enough to be exempt from eating real matzoh, so I was pretty worked up
about the whole thing...

I wrote to Elaine Gottschall (the guru of SCD) and asked her if it
would make any difference if I ate spelt or oat matzah instead of
wheat, and she replied that all grains were the same as far as she was
concerned: BAD.  However, she eased my fears and told me to just go
ahead and eat the minimum amount on the first night (such heresy from
Elaine Gottschall!) - and if I felt no ill effects, to eat it on the
second night too.

Despite the fact that Elaine felt that spelt was no better than wheat,
I decided that spelt matzoh would be the lesser of two evils... if for
no other reason than that it's apparently tolerated by some who have
trouble with wheat, and that spelt matzahs are softer, lighter, and
easier to chew than wheat ones - which intuitively made me feel that
they might be a bit gentler on my gut as well.

Looking forward to my next grain "cheat" next Passover...  ;-)

--
Deanna