From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:22:25 -0500
Jerry Stegenga wrote:

>Yes jean-claude. Eating only the natural "healthy" carbs is the only
>sensible way but how many of our fellow humans will follow this path? I am  diabetic
>and am on a all protein and fat diet ,no carbs

Even eating all protein and no fat will not necessarily bring BG down to
where it should (in my view) be, since 58% of protein is converted to
glucose anyway.  The same thing is true of natural/healthy carbs.  These
measures may prevent IR, but it has not been shown that they can reverse
it, and my experience (and I'm not the only one on this list in this
situation) suggests that they cannot.  Excess abdominal fat, elevated
LDL cholesterol, and elevated fasting BG (above 84 or so) are all pretty
clear signs of IR.  I have tried an all-meat diet for months at a time
and these indicators remained.  The use of things such as vinegar and/or
cinnamon and/or lipoic acid have to be seen as *medicines* to treat a
condition that is not reversed by diet alone.  Since, in my view, the
reduction of fasting insulin is possibly the most important objective,
getting fasting BG down is very important, and worth considering
medicinal measures to accomplish.  I also believe that total caloric
intake matters, when it comes to reversing IR.  I don't claim that
vinegar is the solution, only that it's worth a try.

Todd Moody