From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 14:04:12 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< You mentioned in a recent posting that you fast for increased energy.
 Could you describe your fasts for us?

Not much to describe, really. Just don't eat!

But seriously, I got this concept from two sources - Atkins, and studying
native cultures. Here's a quote from Atkins (page 237 in my book): "The
fasting state... is full of self protective devices. A person on a fast
liberates more "fat mobilizing substance"..[shows].loss of hunger, and ...
other benefits that make ...the person comfortable and exhilarated."

It's the "comfortable and exhilarated" bit that is interesting -- this is
correct, and I think Atkins must have tried it himself, unlike most
"experts," who generally decry the concept. As he says, the first two days
are the hardest, and this is why I eat a little carbo in the morning, like
some fruit slices.

The real insights as to the benefits of fasting are obtained by studying
native cultures. They frequently fast, and always before major expeditions.
And when on the move, they eat very little -- just handfuls of food. When I
hike these days, I carry no food, and I do not eat before departing. I might
hike for six to eight hours, and I do not feel hungry, and I do not feel the
desire to eat a large meal on return.

As I mentioned in another post, to me it is obvious that excessive food
consumption consumes energy, and if you do not eat, you liberate that energy.

I have not fasted longer than five days. I find that long enough to obtain
the benefits, and generally I do eat a little -- fruit slices, some seeds,
perhaps. Like a native would. It tunes up the whole body. You can see and
hear better, you feel like running up stairs, and you appreciate small
quantities of food much more.

It's also a good mental exercise - to learn to control the body. It is easier
to do if you break your normal daily routine. That's why hiking is a good way
to start, because you are not subject to normal meal times, and the physical
exertion kills the hunger pangs.

Try it, and good luck!

Charles
San Diego, CA