From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:25:54 -0400
Adrienne Smith wrote:
> From recent postings, it seems that starchy paleo foods such as the sweet
> potato are better than fruits and non-starchy veggies to replenish
glycogen
> stores.  I am looking for other paleo compliant suggestions besides
carrots
> that could possibly help with this.  Hair loss is a symptom of glycogen
> depletion

When I started low carb I started with Protein Power then Atkins for about
one year and read about hair loss (though I did not experience it myself)
amongst low carbers. It is reasonable to assume that it is indeed connected
with deep ketosis. Todd has explained that cortisol is released in quantity
during deep ketosis, in other words deep ketosis is a stress situation for
the body.

Many on this list are like me and started paleo after first doing low carb.
So we have a mistaken impression that paleo eating must be low carb. I think
for some this is true, but for many, moderate low carb is best.

I had trouble when I went paleo for the longest time with binging. My
problem I believe was not consuming enough carbs that could maintain my
glycogen levels, and when they got low I'd experience strong cravings for
potato chips and cookies.

In the last few weeks I've accepted suggestions of some on this list and
it's working out much better. Suggestions are:

carrots, parsnips, turnips, radishes, sweet potatoes, and yams.

Together with using carb-rich aromatic vegetables including

onions, shallots, garlic, scallions and leeks,

you should get enough carbs of the right kind. Since I have done this I have
not experienced strong cravings and have not felt the need to binge. It's
been simply amazing. I eat no more than half a sweet potato, or one and a
half turnips, with one meal of the day. The rest of the time I eat very low
carb, primarily getting carbs from ancillary aromatic vegetables and a bit
of fruit. I am now losing weight, too, after a very long plateau. I figure I
consume 70g or so per day of carbs, but they are all paleo carbs rather than
"bad" carbs.

For me, low carb veggies and protein are not enough and this works much
better. Perhaps it will work for you too.

--Richard