From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 14:37:13 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/01 2:16:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< but
 I wouldn't underestimate the value of resistance exercise
 (weightlifting) --- for maintaining muscle and preventing
 bone degeneration (osteperosis). Just "carrying" your own weight
 is not enough. >>

Agreed. I do floor exercises every morning - 60 pushups, e.g., Native peoples
take the concept of physical exercise very seriously. You are not a good
Indian if you are not a strong Indian. This doesn't necessarily mean
excessive weight training for its own sake, but more a question of
maintaining good muscle tone. Upper body strength is a problem in our
society, since we never carry things (like a freshly killed deer).

It is essential to oxygenate all the tissues in the body, and this is done by
physical activity. Yoga is very good for this also.

Charles
San Diego, CA