From:
"Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:08:13 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/99 7:03:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  > How come the Hasidic Jews aren't the healthiest people on Earth?
>  > Don't they follow their gods word to the letter?
>
>  Yes, they try to... but, they cannot be expected (as a group) to be
>  the "healthiest people on Earth" because the Jewish dietary laws have
>  nothing to do with physical health.

Thank you for your explanation Deanna.

 I find the above kind of sad. I would like to think that god's rules and
 laws were always in the interest of man-kind.  His societal rules
obviously were, but why not diet? And I understand the rules about
handling and storage of food actually being the healthiest way to
deal with it back in biblical times.  I'm talking about a diet that is
in conflict with the body overall.

I understand that the spirit was/is supposed to be more important,
but it just seems like this is an area that could have carried a lot of
weight (no pun) with people.  I mean, if people followed his rules
(of diet in this case) and had the best possible health, it would be
one more reason to believe. Not that that should be a sole reason.

But taking Seventh Day Adventist's for example, they seem so very
secure and satisfied in their beliefs, and follow their diet based on
those beliefs, and are *blessed* with good health because of them.
I would personally want to consider that proof of his greater wisdom.
But it doesn't seem to be the case with kosher dietary rules.
And seeing as how Judaism came before Christianity, I don't
understand why it's that way.

Anna <seeking enlightenment, in any form>