From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 13:50:54 -0700
-

>Todd Moody wrote:
>
>> Is there any information about what causes galanin levels to
>> rise?  Is there perhaps a feedback system of some sort?

>Monty wrote
>The only other info I came across is that galanin is released when
>the body breaks down body fat, as it does during dieting or when
>several hours have passed between meals.  When the body breaks down
>body fat, fat particles are released into the blood that travel to
>the hypothalamus and trigger galanin's release.
>
>Additionally, eating less fat drops galanin production and the more
>fat you eat, the more galanin you make and the more fat you crave.
>Dr. Leibowitz showed that those rats that ate diets that were more
>than 40 percent fat had twice as much galanin in a certain part of
>the hypothalamus than did the rats that ate a diet that contained
>less than 20 percent fat.   So, in essence, the study seemed to show
>that a high-fat diet fundamentally changes the brain into a
>fat-craving machine.

I would be curious about which kind of fats were given to the rats. We know
that all fats are not equal in the responses of the body to it. Giving fats
for example that the rat genetic have not been prepared to receive
 denatured fats thru heat ..) is most likely to not satisfy the cells needs
and i will not be surprised that thru increase of galanin secretion , the
body will be asking for more fats "looking for the right one".
What is the regulating mechanism to stop this fat craving machine ?
Some feed back must be there,  to counteract the endless viscious circle
:high fats levels in blood, high secretion of galatin, high consomation of
fats...

i am very much interested to get more information about galanin and fat
metabolism,because i observed myself getting in an endless craving of fats
when i was trying to satisfy it with avocados and nuts , that got resolved
once i had access to grass fed animal fats (bone marrows ...) or shrimps and
other sea foods. This fat craving started when i removed my mercury fillings
, awakening an interest in  fatty fish while before i could eat only smalls
quantities of it. (i have to precise that thoses" attraction- repulsion "
to my senses to tell me what my body needs are at .)

. > However, it's also reported that galanin
>release may also be cut off by eating more protein

It is curious that i started to feel satisfied with foods rich in fats but
poor in proteins like pure animal fats or olives and eating fat and proteins
rich foods was not satisfying.
So somewhere my body was looking for a rise in galanin secretion ( i am
deducting it from what you wrote) Could it be to increase my fat intake to
bind  whith the mercury released from my tissues when the daily poisonning
of mercury( amalgams in my mouth) stopped.?

>Perhaps the galanin issue relates to why *some* people feel
>constantly hungry after eating high-fat meals and are prone to gain
>weight due to a stimulated appetite.

again could it be that *some* people get hungry for more fats because their
fat intake is not the kind of fats that the cells need . Other people
observed the contrary,  that increase of their fat intake made them less
hungry . May be because theirs cells get what they need.

i am craving more infos on that fat stuff
Jean-claude