From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:50:28 +0100
Ther have been a huge number of studies damning all meats. While some have been rather vague, the sheer number involved is rather conclusive. However, it should be made clear that all these studies focus on the consumption of cooked-meats(which are intensively-farmed/grainfed at that), so they are making very wide over-generalisations re claiming that absolutly ALL meat is bad for you. A number of us eat raw, (organic or wild)grassfed meats which don't have the advanced glycation end products, nitrosamines , polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons etc.  and other heat-toxins found in cooked foods, so we don't have to worry at all about the issue. Of course, one can limit the damage by only boiling meats instead of frying/grilling etc., but that is, of course, only a compromise, not a solution.

While there have been plenty of studies condemning saturated fats, scientists are coming round to the idea that it isn;t saturated fats but heat-created toxins from cooking which are to blame.

"

Another confounding issue may be the formation of exogenous (outside the body) advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) and oxidation products generated during cooking, which it appears some of the studies have not controlled for. It has been suggested that, "given the prominence of this type of food in the human diet, the deleterious effects of high-(saturated)fat foods may be in part due to the high content in glycotoxins, above and beyond those due to oxidized fatty acid derivatives." The glycotoxins, as he called them, are more commonly called AGEs" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9177242

http://www.pnas.org/content/94/12/6474.long

taken from:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat

(Michael Eades the low-carb guru, also has made claims re AGEs that people on vegetarian diets actually have more AGEs in them due to fructose-consumption(at least by comparison to cooked-palaeos). Can't remember the link.

Geoff

Get the best of MSN on your mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/